March 19, 2013
Cats may not be tethered outside. Dogs may not be tethered unless a person is holding the tether or the dog’s owner or handler is outside and within 50 feet of the dog during the time that the animal is tethered.
Sec. 14-381. – Food, water, shelter and shade.
(2) Chaining and Tethering Animals:
(a) It shall be unlawful to keep an animal or livestock on a chain or rope placed in a manner that makes it possible to become entangled with the restraints of other animals or livestock or with any other objects.
(b) It shall be unlawful to keep any animal or livestock on a chain or rope that is of insufficient length to allow the animal or livestock complete access to shelter at all times, except while the owner or handler is outside, within 50 feet of the animal or is holding the chain or rope.
(c) It shall be unlawful to attach a chain to an animal or livestock in a manner so as to cause injury or discomfort to the animal or livestock.
(d) It shall be unlawful to stake a cat outside on a leash, rope, chain or similar apparatus.
(e) It shall be unlawful to restrain a dog outside with a chain or tether unless:
(1) a person is holding the chain or tether, or
(2) the dog’s owner or handler remains outside, within 50 feet of the dog, throughout the period of restraint.
2. Violations of this ordinance shall be punishable by a penalty of up to $500 per violation and as provided by Section 1-14 of the Wichita Falls Code of Ordinances.
3. The sections of this ordinance that specify they amend or add to the Code of
Ordinances of the City of Wichita Falls are intended to be parts of said Code, and said sections of this ordinance may be renumbered or relettered to accomplish such intention.
4. This ordinance shall be effective 180 days after final passage and approval by City Council and shall become effective only if the City Manager or his/her designee has filed a certification with the City Clerk certifying that a program has been established by a third party to provide for the installation of enclosures for animals at reduced cost to at least 3 low income residents per month in the City.